Thursday, November 18, 2010

Grilled Honey Golds

Recently I told you about these fantastic little potatoes. Now I have a great little recipe for them:

serves 5-6
 
Preheat your BBQ to around 350F and prepare for indirect grilling.

Thread 24oz. of Honey Gold potatoes (that's one bag full) onto metal skewers (either skinny round ones or flat ones, don't use wooden ones - I tried and they broke due to the force needed to get through the potato). I was able to get 5-6 potatoes per skewer. This will depend on the length of your skewers.

Place the skewered potatoes onto a large pan or plate and drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil. Turn the skewers over (and maybe give the potatoes themselves a little rub) so that all of the potato surface is coated lightly in oil.


Combine the following ingredients in a small bowl:
  • 2 tsp dried thyme leaves
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 2 tsp ground sea salt (or any medium ground salt, coarse will just fall off and fine will be too potent)
  • several good grinds of black pepper (and then add a few more grinds)
Sprinkle half of the above seasoning mix over the potatoes. Turn the skewers over and then sprinkle the other half of the seasoning mix. If a lot of the seasoning ended up on the plate, use your fingers and rub the overflow onto the potatoes.

Transfer the skewers from the plate directly onto the grill of your BBQ, putting them over indirect heat. Grill for about 30 minutes, turning the potatoes over once halfway through. They're done when the skins have browned slightly and you can easily pierce through a potato with a fork.

Got leftovers? I made a batch of Grilled Honey Golds for me and my husband last week and we definitely did! Those leftovers turned into the best little hash browns ever. Here's how: I refrigerated the leftover potatoes over night. The next morning I slid them off their skewers and onto a cutting board. Using the back of an ice cream scoop, I gently smooshed each potato into an uneven disc (uneven because it is impossible to smoosh them evenly). I preheated my non-stick skillet and popped the potatoes right on there, frying them until the underside was a bit crunchy before flipping and doing the other side. Did they ever taste great alongside some salsa and scrambled eggs!

Savor it Seminole!

No comments:

Post a Comment