Simple Savory Soup
This is a vegetarian soup but feel free to use chicken or turkey broth instead of the vegetable broth and/or to add any leftover roasted chicken, ground beef or other cooked meat that you have on hand.
Combine the following ingredients in a saucepan:
- 1- 15.5 oz can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), drained and rinsed
- 1- 28 oz can Petite Diced Tomatoes (regular dice is fine too but I prefer the petite here)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves left on the stalk (use 1 tsp dry if you don't have fresh)
- 2-4 cloves garlic diced (I always use 4 but if that offends you, use 2 instead.)
- A dash of salt and some fresh cracked pepper
Bring the pot up to a simmer over medium-high heat stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low. Taste the broth. Is there ESP (enough salt and pepper)? Add more if needed. Partially cover the pot. Allow the soup to slowly simmer for at least 10 minutes but for as long as 30. Remove the parmesan rind (if using) and the rosemary stalks but don't remove the leaves that are floating prettily in the soup. Check for ESP again.
Ladle the soup into bowls. Squeeze a small wedge of lemon over each serving and sprinkle over a small mist of parm. Serve with an arugula salad and some crusty grainy bread, perfect for dunking into the soup.
Savor it Seminole!