Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Simple Savory Soup

It is autumn. I can tell because my calendar is flipped to November, not because of the weather. It is still hot and muggy here most days, even though they've already had a snowfall in my homeland (Manitoba, Canada). I admit that the mornings and evenings in Central Florida are cooler now than they were a couple of months ago and some of the days are more than pleasant. But it's a far cry from the frosty chill in the air that I am accustomed to feeling this time of year. I therefore find it difficult to cook the usual autumnal comfort foods; I don't want steamy heat filling my kitchen nor am I in the mood to eat a hearty stew. How do I reconcile the image of tinted leaves on my calendar with the continuing summery desire for brighter lighter foods? Here's how: A quick-cooking soup that uses some light fresh flavors while remaining as cozy and comfy as the more usual fall simmers.

Simple Savory Soup

serves 3-4

This is a vegetarian soup but feel free to use chicken or turkey broth instead of the vegetable broth and/or to add any leftover roasted chicken, ground beef or other cooked meat that you have on hand.

Combine the following ingredients in a saucepan:
  • 1- 15.5 oz can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), drained and rinsed
  • 1- 28 oz can Petite Diced Tomatoes (regular dice is fine too but I prefer the petite here)
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves left on the stalk (use 1 tsp dry if you don't have fresh)
  • 2-4 cloves garlic diced (I always use 4 but if that offends you, use 2 instead.)
  • A dash of salt and some fresh cracked pepper
Optionally add the rind from a piece of parmesan cheese or 2 tbsp of finely grated parmesan cheese to the pot.

Bring the pot up to a simmer over medium-high heat stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low. Taste the broth. Is there ESP (enough salt and pepper)? Add more if needed. Partially cover the pot. Allow the soup to slowly simmer for at least 10 minutes but for as long as 30. Remove the parmesan rind (if using) and the rosemary stalks but don't remove the leaves that are floating prettily in the soup. Check for ESP again.

Ladle the soup into bowls. Squeeze a small wedge of lemon over each serving and sprinkle over a small mist of parm. Serve with an arugula salad and some crusty grainy bread, perfect for dunking into the soup.

Savor it Seminole!

2 comments:

  1. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm soup is my favorite!!! I will definitely try this when a mood to cook hits me. So happy to see your still working with recipes....are you going to add some wine pairing!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...wine pairings. With this I'd go with a crisp white with a nice citrus note. The Robert Mondavi Private Selection Pinot Grigio would fit the bill and is easy to find.

    ReplyDelete